Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Zephyricity

My new favorite pasttime is coming up with ways to make the word "zephyr" an adjective. Besides being the the subject of an awesome Chili Peppers song, it's managed to become the perfect description of the spirit of this trip... it's poetic, unique in usage, and I am, very ironically and oxymoronically, a slave to my own whims.

And once again, zephyrology has reared its ideological head. Last night I was in the Brisbane International Airport, waiting a good twelve hours for a flight to Kuala Lumpur, in transit to Thailand, that'd been delayed. I passed the time with my guitar, which got me plenty of weird looks... and jealous ones. Suddenly everyone wished they had thought of bringing a guitar into the terminal with them... now they were stuck with Entertainment Weekly and a screaming kid. Have fun with that. I smugly enjoyed my tunes.

FINALLY the check-in opened for my flight, where I was promptly dealt a nasty surprise... the lady at the counter told me that in order to enter Thailand, you must have a ticket out of Thailand before arriving. I had no ticket out of Thailand, and intentions didn't count. I had five hours to figure out what I was gonna do, or I'd miss my flight. Talk about a kick in the face.

Cursing my luck, I managed to find an internet kiosk. I had made NO plans for this, and now I was forced to actually select a date and place when I'd done no research whatsoever. I had a couple of destination options that would've worked well; zephyresque tendancies prevailed, and I shrugged and typed in Manila. Hanoi, Vietnam to Manila, Philippine Islands. To purchase ticket, click here.

Click.

And just like that, on 23 April 2009 I'll fly to Manila. On a zephyr, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment