Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Situational Calibration


There's only so much you can actually plan out on a trip like this, I've found, and have it turn into reality. Much pops up unexpected, events occur, obstacles arise... the works. Such is my position, and I'm reanalyzing the trip in this light. Several things in particular have risen as issues in the current path of my trek.


First and foremost is the Victorian Bushfires. I'm about 100 kilos from reaching the New South Wales and Victoria border, and the danger isn't any less. New fires are kicking up every day out of seemingly nowhere, the death toll in the region has eclipsed 200, and the entire area is under Insanely Red Alert (at least it should be.) I don't fear my own mortal demise, but I'd prefer not to become Philtoast, outback style.


Secondly is my innate longing to explore, which is very much hindered by my bike. As much fun as it is riding down the coast, I'm bound to my wheels... I can't explore anything, hike through the bush, walk the beach. I have a bike lock but there's too much stuff packed on the bike to just leave sitting anywhere... I feel like I'm getting a fantastic view of Australian pavement, but that's about it. Everything I see is from a distance, or right next to the road.


Given these, I'm considering ditching the bike (not literally... I'll send it back home) and backpacking Australia instead of biking it. While not quite as exhilerating as my original intent, nor as distance-conscious, it would give me an enormous ammount of freedom to explore, and to relax and see the sights... it would also prove much cheaper in the long run. When cycling I can't just stop somewhere and cook lunch... due to the bushfires, ALL fires are illegal. I don't have the means to carry food with me as I'm already completely loaded down as it is... the end result is a lot of eating out, which is insanely expensive, and too many hotel stays because camping without fire = one hungry phil.


My biggest regret initially when planning the trip was the inability to really explore the Queensland coast, and the Great Barrier Reef. So the new plan will be to backpack up the coast instead... my route to the Stuart Highway - and the main part of my original trip plan - is blocked by the fires. In addition, locals have warned me that the heat is so bad this summer that many of the small towns along the desert road have closed down until the fall. This throws a wrench in the original plan as well, since my existence in the desert was contingent on these places being open. That portion of the journey I may have to save for another day.




Sooooooo we'll see what happens. I'm a bit disappointed that the original plan appears to have an undermined base, but I'm equally excited to be able to explore a region I'd been wanting to see. Hinchinbrook Island is off the Queensland coast as well, so I'll definately be able to make it there... one of my prime concerns was my projected inability to do so because of time and cost.


My plans for the next few days are, thus, at the mercy of my own whims. As will be the rest of my time in Australia. And come to think of it, it'll be a whole lot more fun that way.

2 comments:

  1. Whats up man. Sounds like you're having a life changing experience and I'm tremendously jealous. One thing I did learn on my endeavor to Europe is in fact that you can only do so much planning while traveling. As much as you want to know exactly where you will be and when, shit happens and things change. That's what makes traveling so awesome, you never know what to expect. It kind of sucks that mother nature is not cooperating with the weather and the fires but I'm sure you'll have just as much fun backpacking the East Coast which I've heard is awesome. I was actually planning on going to Australia this summer but now I'm studying abroad in Germany so I'll have to hit you up for some pointers when I do make it down under. Have fun and safe travels, I will be keeping up with the blog and pictures.

    Kirk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the info. It sounds pretty user friendly. I guess I’ll pick one up for fun. thank u

    ReplyDelete